Mini-Grant: Tellus Museum

In early 2016, Dr. Soumitra Chattopadhyay, Professor of Physics, was awarded a mini-grant to take his Physics I and Physical Science I courses to the Tellus Museum. In April, the class visited the museum and planetarium individually and in small groups.

This was the third time Dr. Chattopadhyay has been able to have students attend the museum thanks to mini-grants from the Teaching & Learning Center. He noted, “I was always impressed with the exhibits and how much they helped my students to connect the theories of physics learned in my class with practical hands-on examples. This year’s trip was no exception and all my students who went there that day with me were very impressed.”

Students enjoyed the trip, too. One student who visited the museum said, “It was a fun experience and made it easier for me to learn class material with a hands-on approach. I hope that future classes will be able to enjoy this experience just as we did.”

Another echoed that comment, “I really connected with the interactive parts at the museum. It really was an a excellent way to get us to connect with the concepts and ideas we are learning in class.”

This is just one example of the many projects being supported through the Teaching & Learning Center here at GHC. If you have ideas you would like to develop into scholarly projects, contact Jesse Bishop at facdev(at)highlands.edu for a one-on-one consultation to talk about how your project can support student learning at GHC.

Space Capsules

An image from the Science in Motion exhibit at the Tellus Museum. Photo courtesy of Tellus Museum.